State briefs: Police say dad cursed elementary school students on bus – Salisbury Post



MONROE (AP) – A North Carolina father has been arrested after he boarded a school bus and cursed a group of elementary school students for the way they treated his child, according to a sheriff’s office.

The Union County Sheriff’s Office said in a press release that Demor Lee Brooks of Monroe has been charged with trespassing on a school bus, refusal to leave and disorderly driving on a school bus.

The students were picked up on Tuesday when a man boarded the school bus, the sheriff’s office said. The man was ordered to get off the bus by the driver, but the man refused to get off and began berating the children for the way they were treating his child, according to the press release.

An investigation found that the incident lasted about 30 seconds and that no students were injured, the sheriff’s office said.

Brooks has been released from jail on bail, and it is not known if he has a lawyer.

An attempted hijacking closes the RDU parking lot

MORRISVILLE (AP) – A parking lot at Raleigh-Durham International Airport was closed for about two hours on Tuesday evening as officials responded to a report of attempted hijacking, the airport said.

The airport said in a statement that the parking lot was closed after RDU Airport Authority law enforcement responded to a call in the parking lot around 5 p.m., The News & Observer reported. During the search, passengers were asked to stay inside the terminals and travelers arriving at the airport were redirected to a nearby parking lot.

No one was injured and no suspects were identified or detained, airport officials said. The garage reopened around 7 p.m., airport officials said.

A couple convicted of multiple tax offenses

GREENSBORO (AP) – A couple in North Carolina have been convicted of bypassing payment of employment and income taxes for nearly a decade to pay for their dog’s board, a country membership club and visits to a spiritual advisor, the US Department of Justice said.

James and Susan Rice were convicted of conspiracy and tax evasion, the North Carolina Central District’s Office of the United States Attorney said in a press release.

At the time of their indictment nearly a year ago, prosecutors said James Rice was an orthopedic surgeon at Southern Pines and Susan Rice worked at the firm responsible for managing salaries and employment taxes. According to the press release, between 2007 and 2014, the Rices would have withheld taxes on employment, but would not have paid more than $ 580,000 in Social Security and other withholding taxes to the IRS. The indictment also alleges that the Rices failed to file individual tax returns from 2014 to 2016 despite exceeding the filing threshold.

The press release says that in order to conceal their income, the Rices transferred funds from Sandhills Orthopedic bank accounts to other accounts they controlled, such as those at Susan Rice’s truffle business. The Rices also used their business bank accounts to fund staff costs. In total, from June 2013 to December 2016, the Rices embezzled at least $ 1 million in cash and checks at Sandhills Orthopedic directly into their personal bank accounts, prosecutors said.

Former Highland Games manager accused of attempted murder

NEWLAND (AP) – The former office manager of the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games has been arrested by state law enforcement officials and faces charges including three counts of attempted first degree murder, have the authorities announced.

Avery County Sheriff Kevin Frye said Thomas Dewey Taylor, 43, was being held in the county jail for possession of a weapon of mass destruction in addition to the charge of attempted murder, reported the media.

Taylor was indicted Monday night by the NC State Bureau of Investigation, but a spokeswoman referred additional questions to Frye’s office on Tuesday. The sheriff said he couldn’t provide more information because the SBI brought the charges.

Taylor’s arrest was linked to an incident at the Linville office, said Stephen Quillin, president of the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games. Quillin said Taylor was removed from his post as office manager in August.

Taylor was jailed on $ 500,000 bail.



Leave A Reply