The Southern Jaguars (4-4, 3-2 SWAC) won at home against the Alcorn Braves (5-3, 4-1 SWAC) in a SWAC thriller.
Over time, Jags kicker Luke Jackson scored a 47-yard field goal to surprise the Braves 38-35.
Felix Harper threw the last of his four touchdowns at CJ Bolar for 14 yards. Then he threw a two-point conversion to Niko Duffey as Alcorn rallied to tie the contest with 1:01 remaining on the match clock.
Southern used eight plays, 35 yards and 55 seconds to get into position for Jackson’s winning field goal.
The contest was tied 14-14 at halftime and 21-21 after three quarters.
The Jaguars scored first in the fourth stanza before Duffey’s touchdown brought the Braves back to one point after Kiani missed the extra point attempt. Southern led 28-27 with 11:51 remaining.
Glendon McDaniel led the Jaguars on an 11-play, 74-yard run to lead 35-27.
The Braves and quarterback Felix Harper responded with a 7 game practice for a touchdown and a successful two-point conversion. 35-35 was the score with 1:01 before going into extra time.
McDaniel put the Jaguars in goalie position in 8 games and 55 seconds. Luke Jackson’s 47-yard game winner gave Southern the 38-35 victory.
Alcorn (5-3, 4-1 SWAC) remains one game behind Prairie View (6-1, 5-0 SWAC) in the SWAC East Division.
- Felix Harper: 13/26, 206 yards, 4 TDs; 8 rushes, 78 yards
- Niko Duffey: 19 races, 128 yards, 1 TD
- CJ Bolar: 2 rec, 53 yards, 2 TD
- LeCharles Pringle: 3 rec, 53 yards, 1 TD
- Tavarious Griffin: 1 rec, 27 yards, 1 TD
- Glendon McDaniel: 20/34, 258 yards, 1 touchdown
- Jerodd Sims: 22 rushes, 74 yards, 3 TD
- Calif Gossett: 3 rec, 72 yards
- Marquis McClain: 4 rec, 41 yards, 1 TD
- NO INTERCEPTIONS, NO FUMBLES IN THE GAME!
- Effectiveness of the 3rd descent: South (14/20); Alcorn (5/10)
- Total offense: South (452 ââyards); Alcorn (447 yards)
- Penalties: South (7 -85 meters); Alcorn (7-55 yards)
- Time of possession: South (32:54); Alcorne (26:52)