On Saturday, June 4, mega kites will fly over Centennial Park in North Liberty. Come for awesome views, information, activities and giveaways from LGBTQ community groups and sponsors for a community celebration of love. Here’s everything you need to know.
The five Ws
- That you! This is a free event for all ages.
- What: Mega kites soar above Centennial Park for a community celebration of love.
- Where: Centennial Park, 1565 St Andrews Drive
- When: Saturday, June 4, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Why: Love is love!
Free programming to look forward to
- Create a button with your favorite pronouns with the North Liberty Library and sign up for their summer reading program
- Get colorful with a free airbrush tattoo
- Sign a community banner to pledge your support and commitment to making everyone feel welcome in North Liberty
- Dance to your own tune with a silent disco hosted by South Slope. 100 headphones will be available at checkout. Choose between three stations to jam with friends and family
- Collect giveaways and gifts from Adam Schechinger’s State Farm
- Play Plinko with MidWestOne Bank for Prizes
- Receive a temporary tattoo from the GEICO Philanthropic Foundation
- Search Hills Bank’s corn box for coins and meet their mascot, Penny Bear
- Create a craft with the North Liberty Community Pantry
- Mayor Hoffman to Proclaim June Pride Month in North Liberty
- Add your handprint to an NLPD patrol car in colorful paint
- Learn how to get involved with the North Liberty Residents Against Racism and Social Justice Group
- Capture FOMO-inducing photos among giant 50- to 200-foot-long kites and other event photo ops
- Play a game of disc golf around the perimeter of the park
- Learn and connect with LGBTQ community groups
What to bring
- Your camera!
- Garden chairs and blankets to relax while enjoying the view.
- Your wallet to buy lunch from Da Flava Unit and Marcos Grilled Cheese food trucks and a treat from Moo Moo’s Ice Cream.
- A picnic to share with family and friends. Friendly reminder: alcohol is prohibited in city parks.
- Your own kite to fly. Kites will also be available for purchase.
- Your dog, if you will. They are welcome as long as they are on a leash and you clean up after them.
Food and drink
- Da Flava Unit, Marcos Grilled Cheese and Moo Moo’s Ice Cream will be on hand with food and treats for purchase.
- Picnics are welcome and encouraged. Friendly reminder: alcohol is prohibited in city parks.
How to get there and where to park
- Centennial Park is located between Kansas Avenue and Jones Boulevard at 1565 St Andrews Drive
- Please park on paved park lots or along nearby residential streets.
- Forget the car and walk, cycle or rollerblade to the park!
You might also be wondering
- Yes, portable toilets will be available at this event.
- Yes, dogs are welcome as long as they are on a leash and you clean up after them.
- The use of tobacco, nicotine, vaping, and other electronic smoking devices is prohibited in North Liberty parks, trails, and public recreation areas.
- Since this event is taking place outdoors, there is no additional COVID mitigation.
Who to thank
This event is part of the City Slate. The calendar of events throughout the year is made possible by Adam Schechinger State Farm, Centro, Inc, The Eastern Iowa Airport – CID, GEICO Philanthropic Foundation, Hills Bank, MidWestOne Bank, Shive-Hattery, South Slope Cooperative, University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics and Veridian Credit Union.
stay in the loop
Any cancellations or delays will be posted in the Facebook event.
Share your photos with us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
Stay connected with the city by subscribing to the North Liberty Bulletin or signing up for news alerts.
We are committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodations at our events for people with disabilities. For accommodation, please contact [email protected] or call (319) 626-5755.
More fun on the town slate
This event is part of the City Slate, a compilation of the largest, free events produced by the City of North Liberty, with over 40 events scheduled for 2022. Check out the schedule at northlibertyiowa.org/cityslate.