Bo Calvert (Photo: Scott Chandler)
Venue: Rose Bowl Stadium
Kick-off time: 7:30 p.m. PT
TV talent: Mike Monaco (play-by-play), Rod Gilmore (analyst), Lauren Sisler (sideline), Todd McShay (field analyst)
Radio (UCLA Sports Network at IMG College): AM 570
Talent Radio: Josh Levin (game by game), matt steven (analyst), wayne cook (sideline)
SiriusXM: 85/Ch. 197
SXM app: 959
UCLA returns to Pasadena, Calif., this week for a Saturday night comeback game against Stanford. The Bruins, now ranked No. 12 by the AP and No. 15 by the coaches, will take on the Cardinal in a battle that will be televised by ESPN at 7:30 p.m. PT. The Bruin IMG radio network will broadcast the contest, which will also air on SiriusXM and the Varsity app.
UCLA will look to extend its overall seven-game home win streak compiled over the past two seasons, consisting of 2021 wins over Colorado and California and 2022 wins over Bowling Green, Alabama State. , southern Alabama, Washington and Utah. The Bruins have also won the last four Pac-12 Conference home games played at Rose Bowl Stadium. UCLA will look to defeat the Cardinal in Pasadena for the first time since 2008. In that game, quarterback Kevin Craft connected on a seven-yard pass to tight end Cory Harkey with 10 seconds left to play for the winning score, getting a score of 23-20. victory. Stanford is coming off back-to-back wins over Notre Dame and Arizona State.
In its last game, UCLA saw its nine-game winning streak come to an end at Oregon in a 45-30 decision. Zach Charbonnet ran 151 meters, Jacques Bobo caught eight passes for 101 yards and Dorian Thompson Robinson generated 300 yards of total offense. UCLA had recorded a ninth straight win in dealing then-No. 11 Utah a 42-32 loss Oct. 8 in the Rose Bowl and went 3-0 in the league for the first time since 2007. Charbonnet rushed for a career-best 198 yards against the Utes. The previous week he handed over then-No. 15 Washington a 40-32 verdict on a Friday night at the Rose Bowl. UCLA opened the league roster in Boulder, Colorado with a 45-17 triumph over Colorado.
IN ONE LOOK
• The Rose Bowl celebrates 100 years of hosting some of the world’s biggest sporting and entertainment events in 2022.
• UCLA has won seven consecutive home games over the past two seasons, including victories in its last four Pac-12 home games – 2021 against Colorado and California and 2022 against Washington and Utah. He scored at least 40 points in each of those four Pac-12 home wins.
• UCLA will be aiming for their first home win at Rose Bowl Stadium against Stanford since the 2008 season. They have lost the last six meetings of the series (2020-2010) against the Cardinal in Pasadena, California, having won all six meetings previous home games (1998-2008).
• The winning team has scored at least 34 points in each of the last five meetings of the series between the Bruins and the Cardinal.
• The Bruins are ranked No. 12 in the AP Top 25 this week and No. 15 in the USA TODAY Sports AFCA Coaches poll. The last time UCLA was ranked in the top 15 by the AP after a season-long Oct. 15 was in 2014, when it was ranked No. 9 in late November.
• Zach Charbonnet rushed for at least one touchdown in each of his last eight Pac-12 games … he rushed for at least 100 yards in each of his last six Pac-12 games for a total of 850 yards on 123 carries (6 .9 yards per carry) and eight touchdowns…he leads the Pac-12 in rushing yards per game (127.67)…he’s the only Pac-12 performer to average over 100 yards per rushing game after four straight 100-yard-12-game Pacs… Charbonnet also leads the league in all-around yards per game (156.17), a mark that ranks fourth nationally.
• Dorian Thompson Robinsonwho is ranked second in the nation with a .738 completion percentage, made his 42nd career start at Oregon to move into second place on UCLA’s all-time list behind only Cade McNown (1995- 98), who had 44. Thompson-Robinson is ranked ninth nationally in passing efficiency at 172.3 (McNown holds the UCLA record with a 168.6 rating in 1997).
• Thompson-Robinson, with 9,313 career passing yards, can climb the school all-time ladder with 29 passing yards against Stanford and pass No. 3 Josh Rosen (2015-17) who has 9,341. No. 2 on the list is Brett Hundley (2011-14) who threw for 9,966 yards. At the top of the list is Cade McNown (1995-98), who had 10,708 passing yards.
• Jacques Bobo, who caught a UCLA season-high eight passes at Oregon, caught five touchdown passes in the last three games against ranked opponents Washington, Utah and Oregon … he had a total of three in his four-year career at Duke. Bobo also recorded 101 receiving yards against Oregon, which was his second game of the 2022 season.
At last year’s meeting at Stanford Stadium, Dorian Thompson Robinson scored four touchdowns in a 35-24 win over the Cardinal. After Stanford rallied from a 21-7 halftime deficit to even the score at 21-all, Thompson-Robinson connected with Kyle Phillips on two scoring plays in the fourth quarter to help UCLA pull away. The Bruins quarterback also scored on one- and two-yard runs. Zach Charbonnet rushed for 124 yards and a score.
In the last meeting between the two programs at Rose Bowl Stadium, Stanford prevailed 48-47 in double overtime in 2020. The Cardinal took a 20-3 halftime lead to see UCLA come back strong in the second half with 31 straight points. Stanford then staged its own rally and scored two touchdowns in the final 2:34 of regulation to send the game into overtime. The Cardinal was up seven in the second overtime before UCLA responded with one hunt the griffin-at-Kyle Phillips 21 yard scoring pass. Stanford then held off UCLA’s two-point conversion attempt to claim the win.
• UCLA has won its last seven home games (2021 against Colorado and California and 2022 against Bowling Green, Alabama State, South Alabama, Washington and Utah), which is its longest streak since winning in 10 straight home games in 2005 and 2006 seasons. He also has wins against his last four Pac-12 home opponents in the past two seasons.
• Bruin NCAA Top 20 Rankings: Completion Percentage – Second (.732), 3rd Down Conversion Percentage – Third (.541), Tackles Allowed – Fifth (3.29 per game), Team Pass Efficiency – eighth (170.55), sacks allowed – ninth (0.86 per game), total offense – 10th (497.4 yards per game), scoring – 14th (39.9 points per game), rushing attack – 19th ( 207.9 yards per game) and return yardage at kickoff – 20th (23.5 per game).
• UCLA has had a losing streak of at least one turnover at Oregon… UCLA has +26 turnovers in wins and -25 in losses overall under head coach Kelly Chip…in 2021, UCLA recorded +5 turnovers for the season, but committed seven of its 14 turnovers in its four losses in 2021 …in its four losses in 2020, UCLA committed 12 of his 13 turnovers on the season.
• UCLA is ranked 10th in the NCAA in total offense this week (497.4 yards per game)… the Bruins had 626 total yards in the win over BGSU, the most since they had 657 in a comeback win at Washington State Sept. 22, 2019. It’s the third time in Coach Kelly’s tenure at Bruin that the team has recorded 600 or more yards (also 609 at USC in 2021).
• UCLA ranked 64th in the nation in total defense (373.4 yards per game) at the start of the week… held BGSU to 162 total offensive yards in Game 1 (39 rushing, 125 passing) … it was the first time UCLA held a team to under 200 yards since their 2020 game against California (176). The last time a UCLA defense limited an opponent to less than 162 total offensive yards was in 2008, when Arizona State gained 122 yards (21 rushing, 101 passing).
• UCLA scored three touchdowns from 50 yards or more against BGSU: Dorian Thompson Robinson 68 yard run, 52 yard catch and run Kegan Jones from Thompson-Robinson and a 50-yard strike from Ethan Garber at Josiah Norwood.The Bruins added a 70-yard pass from Thompson-Robinson to Logan Loya against Utah. He’s had three of these plays throughout 2021.
For more, check out the full version of the UCLA 8 football game HERE.