Field hockey | October 6, 2022
RICHMOND, Virginia – The La Salle field hockey team heads south to Virginia to take on Atlantic 10 opponent Richmond on Friday, Oct. 7 at 3 p.m., followed by Longwood on Sunday, Oct. 9 at 12 p.m.
- La Salle enters the contest having beaten Georgetown 4-2 at home on Sunday, October 2. The Explorers allowed an early goal, but never trailed again thanks to the scoring efforts of Tatum Johnson, Sol Espona, Peyton Tollaksen and Sofia Pla.
- The Explorers are 4-8 overall this season and 2-6 on the road. La Salle currently holds an 0-3 record in conference.
- Johnson leads the scoring effort for La Salle this season. She had a team-high 18 points in seven goals and four assists. She’s shooting 71% on the cage this season.
- Pla is powerful both in the backfield and on offense. She helped La Salle to a shutout win over Rider and contributed two assists and a goal in the 4-2 win over Georgetown. She ranks second on the team in points with eight of three goals and two assists.
- Espona has also scored three goals this season, including a winner.
- ryan curly protected the cage for 750 minutes this season. She has a save percentage of .679 totaling 55 saves on 137 shots faced.
SEARCH FOR SPIDERS:
- The Spiders hold a 14-2 series advantage over the Explorers. La Salle did not defeat Richmond during his visit to the Spiders’ field. The Explorers are looking to snap a two-game skid in the series.
- Richmond enters the contest at 5-6 and is on a current three-game losing skid on the road to Lafayette, No. 10 Saint Joseph’s and No. 1 Northwestern.
- The Spiders dropped the fight to the Leopards by just one goal, 4-3, but couldn’t find the back of the net against St. Joe’s and Northwestern.
- The game with La Salle will mark Richmond’s first home game since September 18. The Spiders are 2-1 at home and 2-1 in the conference.
- Lindsey Frank and Regan McCrossan both lead with 15 points. Frank has totaled five goals and five assists in 11 games, while McCrossan has recorded seven goals and one assist.
- Stevie Drum, Madi Hyatt, Cori Nichols and Lainey Nichols have each scored three goals this season.
- McCrossan and Drum lead in game-winning goals with two goals apiece.
- Tess Keppel has anchored the backfield this season. She recorded three defensive saves but also proved strong on the attacking side of the ball with two goals and three assists.
- Erika Latta has logged over 634 minutes in the cage this season. She has a .623 save percentage and has 48 saves on 133 shots faced.
SEARCH THE LANCER:
- Longwood holds a 2-1 advantage over La Salle in the all-time series. The Explorers did not defeat the Lancers during their visit to Farmville. La Salle is looking to snap a two-game skid in the series.
- The Lancers enter the contest on a five-game skid recording their last win on Sept. 11 at Davidson. More recently, Longwood dropped out of the contest at home to Bellarmine, 2-1.
- Longwood’s only wins this season have come on the road. The Lancers are currently 0-3 on their home turf. Maroussia Walckiers leads the team in points with eight of three goals and two assists.
- Madison Wiley and Caroline Hampton have each tallied two goals this season. Wiley recorded a game-winning goal.
- Wiley and Sophia Loscher rank second in points with five each. Loscher is tied for first in assists with three alongside Ireland McDermott.
- Lara Van Nunen played in all 10 games in the cage, recording 44 saves on 117 shots faced for a .657 save percentage.